Sunday, March 25, 2012

Pizza-You Heard Me!

I am always on the search for carb-friendly recipes that satisfy my craving for my favorite comfort foods-in this case, PIZZA! Man have I got a recipe for you. This recipe comes my way via my Aunt Buddy. She has been committed to a much more aggressive eating plan than me, so I modified her recipe slightly to fit my regimen.

This recipe makes 1 personal pizza.

Ingredients:
1 cup finely chopped cauliflower (break flourettes off and pulse in food processor until finely chopped)
1/4 cup Egg Beaters-I never use these but I thought I should go with what the inspiration recipe used
1/2 cup finely shredded mozzerella or Mexican four cheese blend (four cheese makes firmer crust)
Italian seasoning ( a few dashes)
Salt/pepper (a pinch of each)
Foil pie pans (you'll need one pan per pizza)
Pam
Any pizza toppings you like: sauce, cheese, turkey pepperoni, sausage, mushrooms-whatever you crave

Directions:
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Spray foil pie pan with Pam. Mix the Egg Beaters, cheese, chopped cauliflower, italian seasoning, salt/pepper, in a bowl. Put the mixture in the prepared pan and press it down with the back of the spoon, so it's packed down and evenly distributed. Bake crust for 15-20 minutes, or until it's starting to brown. Then flip the crust and cook for 10-15 more minutes, or until nicely browned and firm.

Add toppings to pizza and then put back in the oven on Broil for a few minutes just to melt the cheese.

A-M-A-Z-I-N-G

The crust is almost firm enough to pick up and eat like a regular piece of pizza. I may add a few more minutes to my cook time next go 'round to see if I can get it even firmer.

Notes: I made 2 crusts using a half of a head of cauliflower (which means I have the other half to use for roasted cauliflower later in the week-find that recipe on another post).

Next time I'm going to try using egg whites rather than Beaters to see how it turns out. Also, the original recipe said that you can use the same mixture, roll it into thin logs and bake on a cookie sheet, and wind up with a breadstick-like thing. I can't see exactly how that would work, but if someone wants to try it, let me know how it turns out!

Variations I am definitely going to try:
-Sauceless "white pizza" with mozzerela, ricotta, and mushrooms
-Pesto and sundried tomatoes
-Southwest style with taco meat, cheddar cheese and roasted red bell peppers

No comments:

Post a Comment