Monday, March 26, 2012

Fresh Corn Casserole With Peppers and Jalapenos

Ingredients

8 ears corn (still in the husk)
2 red bell peppers, diced
2 fresh jalapenos, diced
1 cup heavy cream**
1/2 cup milk
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 stick salted butter, cut into pieces

Directions
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Remove the corn from the husks. In a large, deep bowl, slice off the kernels of corn with a sharp knife. Turn the knife to the dull side and scrape the cob all the way down to remove all the bits of kernel and creamy milk inside. (I do this inside the bowl because it goes everywhere if you cut it on a board.)

Add the red bell peppers, jalapenos, heavy cream, milk, salt to taste, a generous amount of pepper and butter and mix it well. Pour into a 9 by 13-inch baking dish. Bake until thoroughly warmed through, 30 to 45 minutes.

**I made this recipe a while back, before I was committed to making healthy recipes. My eating plan really doesn't require me to calorie count (which is why I can do it :)), but if the idea of heavy cream scares you, try this substitute:
    3/4 cup milk
    1/3 cup butter or margarine, melted and cooled
    Mix the two together and add to recipe in place of cream

Before I wrote this post, I did some research about the nutritional facts for heavy cream vs. this substitute:
1 cup of heavy cream can have anywhere from 800-900 calories
For the substitute listed above, www.cdkitchens.com cites 41 calories prepared

Now, because I am not a nutritionist, I'm sharing these numbers with the disclaimer that they may not be perfect. However, even if my estimates are off by quite a margin, there still seems to be a huge caloric difference between the two...so, it's for you to decide which to use.

Lastly, from my experience using substitutes, the consistency may not turn out exactly the same as it would otherwise. But in a casserole like this, it's not a big deal if it's a bit soupier, in my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment