Monday, February 27, 2012

An Everyday Salad That You'll Crave Everyday

I decided to post the ingredients for the salad I make most nights. Under the ingredients, I listed what you'll need at the store. You obviously won't use all of everything each time, but that was just the easiest way for me to share this recipe with you.

Ingredients:
Either baby spinach, romaine, or butter lettuce. Want more info on these varieties? See my note below.
1 pkg Honey Roasted almonds (found in produce section at Albertson's and Tom Thumb)
1 avocado (this you will use up, so if you want to make this more than once in a week, buy more avocados)
1 pkg feta cheese
Flavored balsamic (see below for more details)
Flavored olive oil

Directions:
Compose individual salads in bowls. Top with some almonds, half of a cut-up avocado, and some feta.

Here's what I have learned: Purchasing salad dressing is a waste of money. Regular balsamic vinegar works great. Regular olive oil works great. For some variety, I have change things up by using different flavors of balsamic and olive oil. In my pantry, I have pomegranite balsamic, fig balsamic, and apple balsamic, and I have lemon olive oil and basil olive oil. I use different combos of these to create exciting new dressings. A little dash of vinegar and a little dash of oil is all you need!

I do also make my own dressing often. Here's what I do: In a recycled jalapeno jar (good size for this application), I start with some olive oil. I add half as much balsamic. I add a scoop of garlic (the minced kind out of a jar...fresh is very potent in this case). I add about 1/4 palm full of salt. I put the lid on the jar and shake it up. Voila! Deliciousness. Oh, and when I make this dressing, I use plain balsamic and oil.

**Lettuce notes: Spinach is the best for you, but it lacks that salady crunch we all love. Romaine is a crowd pleaser, and is still pretty nutrient-rich. Butter lettuce is fancy, and is my new favorite-a very buttery (duh) flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment